Ingredients for jerk chicken
- Finely chop scallions,
- 8 cloves of garlic and 2 de-seeded peppers, then add to a large bowl.
- Into the same bowl, stir in brown sugar, spices, dried thyme, soy sauce, oil, juice of one lime, and a splash of Jamaican rum (optional).
- Add the chicken pieces and toss together until fully coated in the marinade mixture.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and marinate the chicken in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight. When ready to cook, heat oven to 325°F and bake chicken for 10-15 minutes
- Add butter or oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in chopped shallot and garlic, cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice then pour in the coconut milk and water.
- Season with nutmeg and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer until the liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender, about 18-20 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans and cook for a few minutes until hot.