- 200 gms paneer, crumbled (cottage cheese)
- 1 medium sized onion/pyaaz, finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium sized tomato/tamatar, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 green chillies/hari mirch, finely chopped
- 3 to 4 small garlic + ½ inch ginger made in a paste in mortar-pestle or 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp red chilly powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1.5 tbsp oil, ghee, butter or white butter
- salt as required
- a few coriander/dhania leaves for garnishing (optional)
- crumble the paneer/cottage cheese and keep aside
- heat oil or ghee or butter in a pan.
- add cumin seeds first if you are using them. once they get browned, add onions. when the onions become translucent, add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilies.
- saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- then add tomatoes and cook till they become soft. you can add a pinch of salt so that the tomatoes get cooked faster.
- now add all the dry spice powders – turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala powder.
- stir the spice powders.
- then, add the crumbled paneer and let it cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- don’t cook the paneer for a long time as they harden and loose their softness.
- lastly add chopped coriander leaves to paneer bhurji and mix.
- serve paneer bhurji with bread toast. you can also serve paneer bhurji with rotis, plain parathas or as a side dish.